I am a self-admitted blanket hog. I love to take the blankets, tuck them under me, and roll up into a burrito…thus leaving no blankets on the rest of the bed. When I got married, I registered for a new down comforter, and I thought it would be a great idea to get the oversize queen for our queen sized bed. That way there would be more than enough blanket to go around, and we wouldn’t have that weird thing where the comforter doesn’t hang off the sides at all. Perfect!
And then I tried to buy a duvet cover so as not to filthy up my white comforter. FAIL! There are not a lot of oddly dimensioned oversized queen duvet covers in the world! (In hindsight, I should have just gotten a king. It’s not that much bigger that it would look silly, and then it would be a standard size.) Some people would just buy a new comforter, but I am a tightwad and I tend to work with what I’ve got. So on a 90 degree day, I thought that playing with many yards of feathers and fabric would be the FUNNEST thing to do. 🙂
This thing is huge. I thought hard about the most open floor space-d area in my home, and it STILL wasn’t quite big enough to lay out the whole thing! (I decided to go the route of tracing my existing comforter on the duvet because I don’t trust myself to measure and draw straight enough lines.)
I solved this problem by doubling it up. (And I had to do this twice, because the heat fried my brain and I forgot to turn it inside out first.)
I then laid out the comforter on top, also doubled up.
Precision was not key, since I didn’t want the cover to fit toooo snugly.
I placed pins just outside the edge of the comforter, again, outside to avoid too tight of a fit.
Here again with not trusting myself to sew in straight lines, I ironed a crease to follow along the pin lines I’d created.
It’s a little difficult to see, but I sewed two seams. The first was just a straight line along my ironed crease. Then I ran out of white thread for my backup zig zaggy seam – for the likely event that I somehow break that straight seam – so I used gray since it will A, never be seen, and B, I was in no mood to run out to the store. This duvet came with corner ties, which I once read is how Martha Stewart keeps her comforters secured inside her covers. I’ve been meaning to do this for a while, so I detached them from their corners, cut them in half, and attached them to the new corner location as well as on the comforter itself. Then it’s muuuch easier to recover if you’re going it alone, as you tie the corners together and just shake the rest of it into place.
Then I got really nervous to just cut away the excess – measure twice, cut once! So I laid the whole thing out one more time to make SURE I’d sewn in the right place, and then I trimmed off the excess.
Voila! It fits! And I don’t have that sad empty 3-6″ pocket of space along all the edges of my comforter. Which is awesome, because you absolutely need a down comforter in August. 🙂